Grant practices extensively in the areas of intellectual property licencing and compliance, employment law and commercial litigation.
He and his team are expert in conducting all aspects of compliance and enforcement work for software and other intellectual property owners. Grant’s clients include Microsoft and the Business Software Alliance.
Grant has also extensive experience acting for start up businesses seeking to raise capital from private investors.
Grant also acts for property developers and construction companies with particular expertise related to construction litigation.
Grant has successfully conducted complex litigation relating to:
- infringement of copyright including issues such as preliminary discovery; authorisation; recovery of additional damages; assessment of damages
- trademark oppositions
- patent infringement
- construction litigation relating to defective work (particularly defective water proofing); contaminated land; extensions of time and liquidated damages; variations and prolongation claims
- misleading or deceptive conduct in the course of trade
- software deployments
- deeds of company arrangement and personal insolvency arrangements
- covenants in restraint of trade and breach of confidentiality
Grant’s publications include:
- Telstra Ordered to Release the Identity of Prospective Copyright Infringers (Published in Law Society Journal of NSW October 2020).
- Taking the Mickey at Work: Could it be your downfall? (Published in Law Society Journal of NSW September 2020).
- Passing Off and Misleading or Deceptive Conduct On Line – Old dog, new tricks.(Presented to Law Society CLE Seminar on 8 March 2016)
- Rights Owners Strike Back? Preliminary Discovery post Dallas Buyers Club (Published Internet Law Bulletin 18/2015 and Australian Intellectual Property Law Bulletin 28/2015)
- Protecting Software in the Digital Age(Published in Law Society Journal of NSW September 2014. Revised version published in Australian Commercial Law Tracker October 2014)
- Downloading Personal Liability(Published in Internet Law Bulletin vol 18 No. 2 2015)
- Copyright and Fair Use in the Digital Age(Published in Keeping Good Companies August 2013)
- Issues in the Cloud(Published in Lexis Nexis Risk Management 2014 Volume 24 No 6)